Cockroaches have been around for millions of years, evolving into some of the most adaptable pests on Earth. There are approximately 4,000 living species of cockroaches in the world and about 70 of these species are found in the United States. You need to act fast as cockroaches can reproduce at an alarming rate, causing a sudden and worrisome infestation in your home.
Types of Cockroaches in Knightdale
Cockroaches come in all different sizes, shapes and colors. By properly identifying which species is invading your home, Stomp Pest Control can better take specific control measures to effectively treat the infestation.
- Size: 1-3″
- Reddish-brown with a yellow band outline behind the head. Large common-cockroach species commonly referred to as a “water bug” or “palmetto bug.” Prefer to live outside in habitats that offer plenty of food and water, however, they will occasionally find their way into structures. Preventative measures include good sanitation control, debris removal in the yard (including leaves that have fallen) also, cracks and crevices repair and reseal to limit access. They are attracted to light at night, so keeping outside lights off will assist in not attracting them towards the home.
Smoky Brown Cockroach
- Size: 1 ¼-2″
- Mahogany brown in color.
- Slightly smaller than the American Cockroach and typically found outside.
- Excellent flier that easily travels from tree to tree.
- Can be attracted to a structure with subpar sanitation measures, if found inside, it is typically found in attics and crawl spaces.
- Proper ventilation of attic and crawl spaces will help to keep them out as they prefer higher humidity; cracks and crevices may also need to be repaired and resealed.
- Baits work well as they scavenge for food.
- Size: ½-1″
- Tan to black in color with two nearly parallel bands that run from the back of the head to the base of the wings.
- Like most roaches, they will eat just about anything. Commonly found indoors around kitchen and bathrooms;
- Prefer tight-fitting spaces to hide and harborage in.
- Reproduce rapidly in large numbers.
- Keeping kitchen and baths wiped dry and clean along with proper sanitation measures is best practice to keep them out of the home.
- Once infestation occurs in the home, professional measures are often needed to get the population under control thresholds.
- Size: ½-?”
- Light gold to glossy dark brown in color with yellow bands across base of wings and abdomen.
- More likely to be found in homes, apartments, hospitals, nursing homes than restaurants and grocery stores.
- Have lower water requirements than other roaches and they prefer starchy foods.
- Treating cracks and crevices is best practice for control measures.
Why Do Cockroach Infestations Happen?
Cockroach infestations most often begin when someone unknowingly brings an infested item into a home or building. Poor sanitation such as leaving out food or dirty dishes, can encourage an infestation since this type of clutter provides a good food source for the roaches. Without addressing a cockroach infestation, they can multiply very quickly.
Here are some other places Cockroaches love:
- Less frequented areas near sewers and drainage where they can live among the moisture
- Clutter made by boxes and papers left in your basement, electrical room, or crawl space.
Pest Control Extermination Services
It’s important to seek immediate professional assistance in treating a cockroach infestation in your home. Not only do cockroaches carry a wide range of diseases, the “skins” or molts cockroaches shed during their lifecycle can also be particularly problematic for individuals with certain allergies or asthmatic concerns. Contact Stomp Pest Control in Knightdale today for a free quote on removal services. We have an extensive background in pest control and won’t finish the job until we have your 100% satisfaction!
Contact Stomp Pest Control for Cockroach Removal Today!
Stomp Pest Control provides comprehensive cockroach extermination services in Knightdale and surrounding areas as part of our standard pest control packages. Contact us today at (919) 231-3292 to rid your home or business of cockroaches and other invasive insects.