Cockroaches are one of the oldest species on Earth and can adapt to almost any environment and circumstance. They’re definitely a hardy insect, but they are also able to spread diseases and breed rapidly. If you see a roach in your home or business, it’s important to act fast to stop the infestation. While you may turn to store bought sprays and traps, those DIY methods just don’t stand up to thousands of cockroaches – you need professional cockroach extermination in Wake Forest.
What Causes Cockroach Infestations?
Cockroaches can live in nearly any environment, and most make their way into your home simply by bringing home a box, electronic device like a television, or other item that has a few roach eggs inside. While their preferred habitat is near food and trash, which is why we associate them with dirty homes, they also thrive in damp areas, in cardboard boxes, and around paper items. Your space under sinks, basement, electrical area, and crawl space area all likely areas for roaches to take up residence.
Types of Cockroaches in Wake Forest
Cockroaches come in a variety of types, several of which are commonly found in North Carolina. By properly identifying which species is invading your home, Stomp Pest Control can better take specific control measures to effectively treat the infestation.
Identifying the American Cockroach
- Size: 1-3″
- Reddish-brown with a yellow band outline behind the head.
- Large common-cockroach species commonly referred to as a “water bug” or “palmetto bug.”
- Prefer to live outside in habitats that offer plenty of food and water, however, they will occasionally find their way into structures.
- Preventative measures include good sanitation control, debris removal in the yard (including leaves that have fallen) also, cracks and crevices repair and reseal to limit access.
- They are attracted to light at night, so keeping outside lights off will assist in not attracting them towards the home.
Smoky Brown Cockroach
Identifying the Smoky Brown Cockroach
- Size: 1 ¼-2″
- Mahogany brown in color.
- Slightly smaller than the American Cockroach and typically found outside.
- Excellent flier that easily travels from tree to tree.
- Can be attracted to a structure with subpar sanitation measures, if found inside, it is typically found in attics and crawl spaces.
- Proper ventilation of attic and crawl spaces will help to keep them out as they prefer higher humidity; cracks and crevices may also need to be repaired and resealed.
- Baits work well as they scavenge for food.
Identifying German Cockroaches
- Size: ½-1″
- Tan to black in color with two nearly parallel bands that run from the back of the head to the base of the wings.
- Like most roaches, they will eat just about anything. Commonly found indoors around kitchen and bathrooms; prefer tight-fitting spaces to hide in.
- Reproduce rapidly in large numbers.
- Keeping kitchen and baths wiped dry and clean along with proper sanitation measures is best practice to keep them out of the home.
- Once infestation occurs in the home, professional measures are often needed to get the population under control thresholds.
Brown Banded Cockroach
Identifying Brown Banded Cockroaches
- Size: ½-?”
- Light gold to glossy dark brown in color with yellow bands across base of wings and abdomen.
- More likely to be found in homes, apartments, hospitals, nursing homes than restaurants and grocery stores.
- Have lower water requirements than other roaches and they prefer starchy foods.
- Treating cracks and crevices is best practice for control measures.
Pest Control Extermination Services
It’s important to seek immediate service from a trained pest control company in treating a cockroach infestation in your home. Even just seeing a few roaches means there could be thousands lurking behind your walls or hidden away. Not only do cockroaches carry a wide range of diseases, they shed or molt their skin which, in larger quantities, can trigger allergies and asthma attacks.
At Stomp, we offer thorough extermination services to get rid of the problem, and our regular pest control packages keep them away. With years of extermination experience under our belts, we know exactly how to tackle the problem and safeguard your home against future threats from pests. As part of ‘The Stomp Difference“, we take the time to educate customers and our community members by providing them with important information, helping them keep their homes pest-free!
Contact Stomp Pest Control for Cockroach Removal Today!
Contact Stomp Pest Control in Wake Forest today for a free quote on cockroach extermination. We have years of experience in pest control and aren’t satisfied until you are! Call us at (919) 231-3292 to rid your home or business of cockroaches and other invasive insects.